MSU Denver is home to the Alpha Psi chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, an honor society of English majors and minors dedicated to promoting the study of language and literature.*
Do you want to join a community of like-minded people? Looking to get involved more on campus? Aren’t sure what Sigma Tau Delta is? Below are just a few things Sigma Tau Delta offers to members.
- Members receive a personalized Sigma Tau Delta membership certificate and the official Society pin to signify high achievement in English language, writing, and literature.
- Members may wear Sigma Tau Delta regalia at graduation and other important ceremonies to celebrate their accomplishments.
- Members are eligible to apply for a variety of Sigma Tau Delta scholarships valued at up to $5,000 each.
- Members are eligible to apply for a merit-based $1,000 scholarship to attend The Fund for American Studies (TFAS) Summer Institute or Capital Semester. This scholarship is available to one Sigma Tau Delta member per year through a partnership with TFAS and the Association of College Honor Societies.
Writing Awards and Opportunities
- Members may submit papers for publication in The Sigma Tau Delta Rectangle and The Sigma Tau Delta Review. Works selected for publication are also eligible for overall awards and monetary prizes.
- Members may submit articles to Sigma Tau Delta’s online publications, The Sigma Tau Delta Newsletter and WORDY by Nature, the official Sigma Tau Delta blog.
- Members may submit articles to Sigma Tau Delta’s regional publications, where available.
- Members may apply for Sigma Tau Delta co-sponsored internships with a major publisher and an online bookstore that funds worldwide literacy initiatives.
- Members are eligible for a $500 merit-based scholarship to attend the Washington Internship (WII) internship program through a partnership with WII and the Association of College Honor Societies (ACHS).
- Members are eligible to apply for a $1,000 housing scholarship to attend The Washington Center (TWC) internship program through a partnership with TWC and the Association of College Honor Societies. TWC has designated three scholarships per year for Sigma Tau Delta members (both undergraduates and recent college graduates).
- Members may submit papers for presentation at the annual Sigma Tau Delta international convention. Works selected for presentation are also eligible for overall awards and monetary prizes.
- Members who attend the annual convention have opportunities to hear students from throughout the U.S. and abroad present their creative and critical writing, to attend sessions on student leadership and chapter activities, and to listen to presentations by noted authors. Featured speakers at recent conventions include Neil Gaiman (2009), Azar Nafisi (2010), Poet Laureate Kay Ryan (2011), Natasha Trethewey (2012), and Ursula Le Guin (2013).
If you’re interested, click here to be taken to MSU Denver’s Sigma Tau Delta site.
* as described by MSU Denver