Our primary mission is to help MSU Denver students become stronger, more confident writers by developing healthy writing processes, metacognitive awareness, and a broad repertoire of writing strategies. Additionally, we work with MSU Denver faculty, alumni, and community members who want to become stronger writers.
- Welcome all MSU Denver writers at any stage in their writing process, in any discipline, composing in any genre;
- Promote writing as a thinking tool;
- Build students’ understanding of how they learn best;
- Help writers develop transferable writing skills, including drafting, revising, editing, content development, and source use, through metacognitive reflection;
- Help students understand and negotiate expectations for academic, professional, and disciplinary writing;
- Foster understanding and acceptance of diverse identities, viewpoints, and linguistic backgrounds;
- Support instructors in developing writing assignments that are informed by current writing theory and research;
- Encourage, support, sponsor, and participate in writing research;
- Practice methods and strategies informed by current theory and research; and
- Mentor undergraduate writing advisers and interns.
We’re not here to point out mistakes or write for you. Everyone is a writer, it’s just about finding that out about ourselves.
-MSU Writing Center